Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Long Road Ahead

Alright, today was a historic landmark in my life as a musician. I was officially paid for my first gig. It all started after I got my wisdom teeth pulled this morning. I was made to take a drug that makes you really really tired, but I did not need to sleep for more than three hours after the surgery. And after a full day of doing nothing but laying around watching movies, I was really fidgety. So when I got wind that my dad was taking my little brother down to the park for an hour or so, I jumped on the opportunity to gather a little guitar practice while we were down there.

So once we arrived, I found a bench away from all of the other poor individuals who were about to be exposed to my practices session against their will, and made myself comfortable.

I started off playing a sweet and simple blues riff that I learned from a dvd that I was given by my grandparents, and was really having a good time with it when this group of about ten eight to twelve year olds wandered over and clustered around me.

My first thought was "oh no, their moms are going to think I'm like a predator of something trying to lure these kids over to kidnap one of them", but I kept on playing anyway and just kinda pretended that they weren't there. After a minute one of the kids moved in and handed something to me. He had a big grin on his face and gladly exclaimed "You're really good!" then ran away followed by his compatriots just as quickly as they had come. I looked down at my hand to discover a quarter. lol.

I was so blown away, I couldn't even call after the kid to give him watch his coin. Then my younger brother Sam came over, saw my quarter sitting on my guitar case, and claimed it for his own before running off again. So I guess in typical musical fashion, I lost it as quickly as I made it. lol. Easy come easy go...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol! That's so funny! Congradulations!

Laura said...

That's good story. A guaranteed laugh. :)