Sunday, January 18, 2009

Everything is Relative...Relatively Speaking

I had a startling epiphany on Saturday during breakfast/lunch (it was twelve p.m. but I was eating cereal...you decide). Renee Descarte was famous for stating "I think, therefore I am" but I realized with horror yesterday that this is not an appropriate litmus test for existence at all. Macaroni does not think, yet I know for certain that it does indeed exist. When I eat it, it fills me...I feel it doing its job.

...I am left to wonder at the implications of this revelation. What is the proof of existence then? Feeling? Feeling in and of itself doesn't make the cut either, as something like Macaroni does not feel anything. Is it the presence of matter? Well, what about voids and black holes?

Or could it possibly be as simple as the fact that the creation attests to its Creator?

"The teleological argument for God stars from the notion that the world of experience, that is, the world we experience, has an observable purpose to it and .must therefore be the result of an ultimate designer." - R.C. Sproul Defending Your Faith: An Introduction to Apologetics (pg140)

We have purpose...why? Because we were created to glorify and enjoy a holy and eternal God.

Romans 1:20-23
"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things."

No comments: