Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Underground

Berea Kentucky is a massive mission field. After being here for less than a full week, I’m already overwhelmed, stressed, and have had my faith challenged by several means…but I’m having the time of my life because of it.

For years I have wanted to be a part of what I like to call “the Christian underground”. Now I finally get to live that dream. I am a follower of God in a place where that is not an accepted practice. But by God’s grace I’m not alone. He has already introduced me to others who claim the faith, brothers and sisters who hold dear the same fundamental principles that I do. We may disagree on a few doctrinal points, but we can all come together on the common ground of Christ’s atoning work. Once again He has made provision when I least expected it. Once again I am the fool for not simply trusting in Him from the start.

Starting this afternoon a few of my fellow students and I began what we hope to be the first of a course of prayer meetings and/or Bible studies where those of us who claim faith can meet to encourage and uplift one another. At this point in time we number less than a dozen, but we hope to increase that number by God’s grace, if He so wills to use us thus.

We have agreed to meet in relatively public places, not that we may pray to be seen, but rather that those who are afraid to speak of their faith at this point may feel more welcome to simply come and join in. With hope, should we start an actual Bible study, others who do not claim the faith will overhear God’s Word being read as well.

We must seek to strike a balance between sharing our faith openly (Matthew 5:15), and not losing our credibility by beating everyone over the head with our Bibles (Matt 5:5). So please keep us in prayer. Pray that we would be salt and light. Pray that we would remain steadfast when literally everyone around us is living in sin and inviting us to participate with them. Pray that we would remain respectful and resolute when people harass out faith. Pray for us…we are the Christian Underground.

1 comment:

lynardlynard said...

Thinking of you, Ben. We will pray. Be strong and courageous (Josh. 1:9) and filled with the love of Christ (Eph. 3:19). Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with God. (Micah 6:8)

:-)

|||||| lynard